Monday, August 15, 2011

Sub.Involusion = Hospital Stay = D&C

When I was at my very lowest wondering how I would even handle this "new" life I started bleeding.

Kind of graphic and long......

Like, can't get off the toilet bad. Scary bad. It was last Sunday night. I called the on-call dr about 30 mins after it started. We agreed that I should wait an hour and if it slowed to wait to go to the office in the morning. (reminder 7 weeks post partum). In the morning I was with the babies waiting for the dr office to open to call to make an appt - when it started again. Worse. My MIL was here so she helped pack me a hospital bag and get the babies down for nap - and I wrote out a schedule for her and told my DH to get home to take me to the dr. We made it there at 10am and it had slowed - then the dr did an internal exam and hell broke loose. Then, they did an u/s to look for retained placenta. I was a MESS. I could barely walk, I was dizzy, and I was scared. They didn't see anything of note in the u/s but sent me to the hospital. Guess what, the bleeding slowed again. I pumped in the car and we headed in. They gave me fluids and meth.ergine to help my uterus contract. No more bleeding -but they wanted me to stay overnight. Dr said probably my first heavy period. I doubted it b/c I am breastfeeding and with Charlotte I didn't get it for many months. They seriously didn't think it could be placenta b/c I had an c/s.

Side note: this happened to my sister with both her pregnancies and to my mom. I thought I got away with it b/c it didn't happen with Charlotte but with all this bleeding I knew it had to be "it".

So, the rest of Monday I didn't bleed I rested, rested and pumped alot and thought I was in the clear. Well, the next morning I was all ready for my "release" when I got up and it started happening!! Ugh!!! I was so happy my actual dr is on-call on Tuesday's so she came in to see me - decided to do another u/s and then based on that possibly a d&c. Yikes. Well, by 9:30 I was getting an u/s and then at 10 was told I was headed in for a d&c. I barely got a call out to my DH. My dr decided on this b/c my lining was unusually thick and b/c of my family history (although no one will admit this is hereditary). She thought it was something called a sub.involusion. So, when I got to the operating room my IV wasn't in, so they had to try like 4 times - it hurt like hell and I was crying like a baby. I didn't want to be there. Finally, finally it was in and I was OUT.

I woke up sick as a dog and in wicked pain. What a horrible thing to go through and all I could think is about how I have babies at home. All the women who have had to do that when having a miscarriage - that heartbreak would be too much to bear.

Turns out they did find tissue - sent to pathology to determine if it was placenta or not. Dr also used an u/s during the procedure and said it was a good thing she did otherwise they would have missed it and I would have been back. The thought is a nightmare.

They made me stay ANOTHER night. Holy cow....but it was a good thing as I was feeling horrible and would have never gotten the rest at home. My parents came when I came home and did everything for me while I slept a ton. It was so nice, yet made me feel like I am back to square 1. I have to take it easy until my follow-up appt on Thur.

So, that's my story. I am sharing b/c it is NOT normal to still be bleeding at 7 weeks post-partum.

So, is it hereditary or b/c I had twins? I wonder????

Babies are great - I need to dedicate a post to that b/c things got SO.MUCH.BETTER between 6 & 7 weeks. Weeks 4-6 are HARD.

Thanks for reading!!!






















2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! That sounds really scary, and I'm glad you are all right but sorry for everything you had to go through. The D&C process sounds awful--like you said, I can't imagine going through that kind of pain and discomfort and dealing with the emotional pain of a m/c on top of that. So glad to hear your parents are able to help you with the babies so that you can take the time you need to recuperate, and I'm glad you sought medical attention immediately instead of taking a "wait and see" attitude. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so scary. So glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete