Tuesday, July 20, 2010

DIY Gone Wrong (Day 3 b/w)

Everyone knows about the Day 3 bloodwork that CCRM requires. It goes like this: buy kit from CCRM ($110 if they deliver it to you, $70 if you pick it up during your ODWU). The rest is history (as in easy).

What everyone doesn’t know is that there is a DIY (do it yourself) option. When we were presented with this option, my husband jumped right on board. How hard can it be? I reluctantly went along – thinking we would save 50ish dollars. But, really in the scheme of 20K, 50 dollars = less than 1% (.25% to be exact). This is about the same percentage chance we have of getting knocked up the old fashion way.

Everyone also doesn’t know DIY = BAD IDEA.

It started with finding a place that would give me the serum to walk out with. My old RE said if I brought “the kit” they would send it for me. So, did Quest. I found a hospital that would hand me the goods. So, on day 2 I went to the hospital. Had to explain at least 5 times why I didn’t have “the kit”. Every time I answered different hoping I would finally satisfy them. Never did, btw.

Serum in freezer, check.

Now came the box packaging. Only 1 Publix in Tampa sells dry ice. This complicated things. I will spare all details of the time & energy that went into researching dry ice, figuring out how to pack it, getting a box, a cooler, etc.

Here is how it played out (with pictures via my iphone – mostly b/c I thought this story was going to be about how much money I saved).

DIY Supplies:

3.50 Lunch box cooler

10.00 Dry Ice

2.00 Box

2.00 Peanuts

17.50 Total









At lunch today Josh and I met today in a parking lot to pack the box – he brought the dry ice from the only Publix and I had everything else. Once packed I was headed to the main Fedex building b/c that was the only place that had the “Dry Ice Sticker” that was required. We managed to get 5lbs of dry ice into the smaller vinyl cooler and I was feeling confident about the package.











Fedex was easy. Until he told me how much. It was one of those moments that you think someone is playing a trick on you. For delivery by 10:30 am he said 87 dollars. WHAT???? Wait, what? Wait, can I have a do-over. What??? I was shocked. I asked how much for deliver by 3:30. $79. Jokes on me.

What could I do? I was stuck – need to get them the blood and it needs to get there cold. I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry – so I laughed with tears in my eyes. And knew I needed to save someone from this same situation.

Here is the evidence.











So, DIY = Bad Idea.

We spent more money than if we had purchased the kit. And more time, more worry, more energy.

Holding my breath until I hear that CCRM receives it nice and cold tomorrow by 10:30AM.

2 comments:

  1. That is SO frustrating. CCRM couldn't send me the container because I'm Canadian. I had to pay $400 to ship the blood. That sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry but this made me laugh! Mainly because my husband was also dead-set on doing this the "DIY" method. He wouldn't consider doing it any other way. Fortunately, about a week before my day3 bloodwork was due, I talked him out of it and was able to get the kit shipped to me just in time. You will laugh about this one day! :)

    ReplyDelete